Wilderness Inquiry’s mission is to facilitate community integration, promote healthy lifestyles, and encourage stewardship of the environment for people of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities. Wilderness Inquiry facilitates fundamental changes in perceptions and beliefs, breaking down barriers between people. Wilderness Inquiry accomplishes its mission through integrated outdoor experiences that intentionally include a diverse group of people of all abilities and backgrounds.
Review Completed: 5/10/2010
808 14th AVE SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414
||Greg Lais, Executive Director
|Number of Full-Time Equivalents (FTE)
|Number of Volunteers
|Number of Clients Served
||Minnesota Environmental Fund
||Accepts donated goods
|Number of Board Members
|Board meetings with quorum
|Average Member Attendance at Board Meetings
|Publicly Available Documents
Most Recent 990
Most Recent Audit
In 2010, WI provided integrated programming that served a total of 16,713 people, a 25% increase over 2009 service levels. <p>
Evaluations from program participants showed the following results: <p>
• Increased Self-Confidence - 87% of participants indicated that their Wilderness Inquiry experience helped them gain more self-confidence. <p>
• Increased bond with their community - 95% of participants indicated that they felt a stronger bond with their community as a result of their Wilderness Inquiry experience. <p>
• Increased Independence- 72% of participants indicated that their Wilderness Inquiry experience helped them become more independent. <p>
• Stronger Relationships- 65% of participants indicated that their Wilderness Inquiry experience helped build stronger relationships with friends and family.
Vision: To steadily grow “mission moments” and WI’s societal impact, WI’s vision is to: <p>
1. Enhance WI’s leadership and excellence in integration of people of all abilities and backgrounds - Build the internal systems, staff, board, and financial engine to support the finest program possible. <p>
2. Make all trips affordable for people who want to go. WI has found that people with disabilities or people who are economically disadvantaged may lack the financial resources to go on WI trips. Yet it is their participation that creates the opportunity for the “Mission Moment.” <p>
3. Become a recognized leader in providing integrated outdoor youth education and adventure programs. WI believes it can have a significant impact by providing youth with inclusive leadership experiences and skills training that will benefit them and society. <p>
4. Build WI to a scale that will have a greater impact on society. WI delivers documented transformative experiences for participants through a variety of means including multi-day adventures, day trips, training and other events. Our vision is to significantly increase the number of people served through these programs on an annual basis.
Community or Constituency Served
Wilderness Inquiry intentionally serves a diverse group of people of all abilities and backgrounds. WI participants vary in age, background, and ability. 34% of participants identify as a person of color, 30% of WI’s trip participants have a disability, and 52% of WI participants are economically disadvantaged.
Geographic Area Served
The majority (65%) of people served are from the Twin Cities metro area. We also serve a large number of people from greater Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois and the Dakotas (20%). The remaining people come from across the U.S.
Impact and Programs
3 Year Average Expenses
Unrestricted Net Assets
|End of Year:
|Beginning of Year
|Unrestricted Net Assets (End of Year), Current 990
|Based on information provided on 2008 to 2010