West Hennepin Affordable Housing Land Trust
West Hennepin Affordable Housing Land Trust dba Homes Within Reach mission is to use the Community Land Trust practice to provide affordable homeownership for working families that would otherwise be unable to buy a home in the suburban communities of Hennepin County, offering both communities and homebuyers the ability to sustain permanently affordable homeownership.
Review Completed: 3/31/2014
5101 Thimsen Ave., Suite 202
Minnetonka, MN 55345
|Other Names Used
||Homes Within Reach
|Number of Board Members
|Board meetings with quorum
|Average Member Attendance at Board Meetings
|Publicly Available Documents
Most Recent 990
Most Recent Audit
In 2013, West Hennepin Affordable Housing Land Trust dba Homes Within Reach (HWR) assisted 13 families in becoming homeowners using the Community Land Trust practice in eight of the eleven suburban communities Homes Within Reach serves. Therefore, HWR has served over 397 persons and 117 families from 2002 through 2013, serving families with average area median incomes of 58% purchase a home.
Of the homes sold to qualified homebuyers in 2013, four homes were previously foreclosed homes, purchased, rehabilitated by HWR and then sold to HWR applicants.
In 2013, HWR raised $1,351,971 and commenced the planning of the 2014 Fund Raising Event scheduled for May 17, 2014.
HWR worked with the Metro Community Land Trusts (CLTs) to create a collaborative that would leverage financial resources, manpower, outreach activities and strengthen all CLTs infrastructure. Result was the development of a proposed collaborative relationship for the two Hennepin County CLTs – HWR and City of Lakes Community Land Trust (CLCLT).
In the fall of 2013, HWR completed the Strategic Plan for 2014 – 2019; establishing four goal statements and strategies that incorporated four key critical issues identified in its SWOT and Environmental Assessment.
A. To offer effective programs that will sustain and grow HWR Community Land Trust:
1. Execute 9 new sales and four resales
2. Develop Hennepin County CLT Collaboration Business Plan
3. Install new website to support application process, fund raising and public relations.
B. To be financially stable, efficient and transparent:
1. Raise $900,000 to $1.2 million for housing production
2. Raise Capacity Building funds to develop and implement the Business Plan for the proposed shared service model.
3. Select and implement new data system
C. To strengthen community partnerships in offering the HWR program:
1. Formalize the Hennepin County CLT Collaboration
2. Continue Board Development Plan
3. Create centers of influence and referrals
4. Share impacts of homeownership through Hennepin County networking plan
D. To influence housing and transit -orientated policies to enable affordable homeowership options in the suburbs of Hennepin County
1. Work with MN CLT Coalition to strategically position the professional organization to influence - local, state and federal housing policy and funding
2. Increase policy and advocacy related to Hennepin County transit opportunities
Community or Constituency Served
West Hennepin Affordable Housing Land Trust dba Homes Within Reach serves household with income at 80% or less of the Area Median Income (AMI).
Geographic Area Served
West Hennepin Affordable Housing Land Trust dba Homes Within Reach service area is suburban Hennepin County, excluding Minneapolis. This extensive area was chosen in recognition of the interconnection of suburban Hennepin County communities, the challenges of providing affordable housing within the suburbs and the need for additional suburban workforce housing.
Impact and Programs
3 Year Average Expenses
Unrestricted Net Assets
|End of Year:
|Beginning of Year
|Unrestricted Net Assets (End of Year), Current 990
|Based on information provided on 2010 to 2012