Volunteer Lawyers Network, Ltd.
To promote access to justice and the administration of justice by providing legal services to low-income people primarily in Hennepin County through volunteer lawyers.
VLN’s programs engage the vast resources of the private bar to protect basic human needs, including shelter, sustenance, safety, and child custody.
Review Completed: 10/17/2012
600 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis, MN 55402
|Number of Full-Time Equivalents (FTE)
|Number of Volunteers
|Number of Clients Served
|Number of Board Members
|Board meetings with quorum
|Average Member Attendance at Board Meetings
|Publicly Available Documents
Most Recent 990
Most Recent Audit
Services provided exceeded or met our annual goals. The impact of these services include: safer living environment for children, preservation of healthy parent-child relationships, protection of families from dangerous and illegal housing conditions, protection of stable housing and prevention of homelessness, protection of a family’s scarce resources for basic living expenses (preserved financial stability and independence), and removing barriers to employment to approximately 8,000 low-income residents of the state of Minnesota and their families.
2012/13 Annual Goals - Volunteer Lawyers Network
1) Explore appropriate role of limited scope services (and pro bono) in efforts to expand the civil right to counsel;
2) Improve ongoing internal procedures to more effectively identify, track and share legal outcomes of VLN services and the resulting positive impact on clients’ lives;
3) Based on state demographics indicating geographic areas of greatest need continue efforts to expand services on a statewide basis, while maintaining commitment to serving the unmet need in Hennepin County;
4) Continue efforts to recruit a more diverse base of attorney and other volunteers. Analyze by area of law retention problem areas;
5) Continue efforts to educate volunteers about cross-cultural communication and internal biases, including by creating mini-webinars;
6) Improve area-specific training for new volunteers;
7) Define and meet our funding gap in FY 12-13 and institutionalize more effective communications with volunteers and funders to engage them more powerfully as partners in our mission;
8) Continue efforts to increase individual giving;
RELATIONSHIPS WITH OTHER ENTITIES
9) Improve outreach by developing a tool to help our partners, collaborators, and clients understand VLN eligibility criteria, including income, issue, and geographic;
10) In June 2013, the Chair will appoint a new strategic planning committee to create the strategic plan to guide VLN from July 1, 2014 to June 30, 2019.
Community or Constituency Served
Low-income residents of Minnesota
Geographic Area Served
State of Minnesota
Impact and Programs
3 Year Average Expenses
Unrestricted Net Assets
|End of Year:
|Beginning of Year
|Unrestricted Net Assets (End of Year), Current 990
|Based on information provided on 2008 to 2010