The mission of Urban Homeworks is to perpetuate the hope of Jesus Christ through innovative community development that produces dignified housing for low-income families, a strategic network of good neighbors and the redemptive development of real estate.
Urban Homeworks is a community development organization working in disadvantaged neighborhoods of Minneapolis and St. Paul. We begin by restoring distressed properties while working to connect neighbor to neighbor to create a livable, robust community where a sense of home is felt.
Review Completed: 7/29/2011
2015 Emerson Ave N
Minneapolis, MN 55411
||Chad Schwitters, Executive Director
|Number of Volunteers
|Number of Clients Served
||Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
Minnesota Consortium of Community Developers
Northside Achievement Zone
Northside Community Response Team
Christian Community Development Association
||Accepts donated goods
|Number of Board Members
|Board meetings with quorum
|Average Member Attendance at Board Meetings
|Publicly Available Documents
Most Recent 990
Most Recent Audit
Serving the community in 2011:
• 56 Units housed:
-150 Family members.
-48 Urban Neighbors, who engaged in a program that challenges presumptions of poverty and the city. They volunteered at 20+ different local community organizations. 49% of Urban Neighbor alumni chose to continue living in the neighborhood.
• 107 Community members received training that will change the legacy of their family.
• 4,368 Volunteers contributed to the restoration of homes in the areas hardest hit by foreclosure. They also learned about issues that our lowest-income neighbors are facing and perceptions of what “the city” is all about were challenged.
• 7 Single family homes were completed to provide sustainable home ownership within our focused areas.
• 16 quality, dignified rental homes were added to provide stable, consistent housing.
1. Internal Relationships: Enhance internal relationships through trust, respect, communication and living out our commitments to specific Rules of Engagement toward our coworkers and team members.
2. External Relationships: Enhance external relationships through trust, respect, communication and living out our commitments to specific Rules of Engagement toward others outside of Urban Homeworks.
3. Financial Bottom Line: Be good stewards of the resources entrusted to us. Achieve our financial bottom line objectives in all departments.
4. Infrastructure: Systems are developed to achieve consistency and excellence. Growth and capacity challenges require us to take a systematic approach in all areas of UHW.
5. Resources: Adequate resources are secured to meet our annual objectives. Abundant resources are secured to achieve our aspirations.
Community or Constituency Served
People who work and/or live in disadvantaged neighborhoods of Minneapolis and St. Paul.
Geographic Area Served
Disadvantaged neighborhoods of Minneapolis and St. Paul.
Impact and Programs
3 Year Average Expenses
Unrestricted Net Assets
|End of Year:
|Beginning of Year
|Unrestricted Net Assets (End of Year), Current 990
|Based on information provided on 2009 to 2011