Metro Meals on Wheels, Inc.
Metro Meals on Wheels with our program partners leads the effort to ensure that individuals in our community receive nutritious meals and the human connection they need to enable them to live independently.
Review Completed: 8/30/2012
1200 Washington Ave S #380
Minneapolis, MN 55415
|Other Names Used
||Metro Meals on Wheels
||Patrick Rowan, Executive Director
|Number of Full-Time Equivalents (FTE)
|Number of Volunteers
|Number of Clients Served
||Twin Cities Hunger Initiative
Partnership to End Hunger
Meals on Wheels Association of America
Tags / Keywords
Disabilities, Aging Adult Services, Hunger
|Number of Board Members
|Board meetings with quorum
|Average Member Attendance at Board Meetings
|Publicly Available Documents
Most Recent 990
Most Recent Audit
• Helped partners deliver over 1.2 million meals to more than 8,600 clients in the Twin Cities.
• Provided over $165,000 in grants and scholarships.
• Convened member trainings as part of our Program Capacity Initiative.
• Expanded accounting and technology services to members.
• Organized the “Blizzard Box Blitz” that resulted in 7,000 emergency meals to 3,500 Meals on Wheels recipients.
• Developed weekly communications to member programs.
• Referred over 1421 potential clients and 778 volunteers to local programs.
• Partnered with Doing Good Together to create a family-friendly volunteer section on our website to build the next generation of Meals on Wheels volunteers, donors and advocates.
• Collaborated with the MN Association for Volunteer Administration (MAVA) to design and conduct a custom training.
• Hosted “Meals on Heels” event that exposed a younger generation of volunteers to Metro Meals on Wheels.
• Designed a newsletter template, referral kit and brochure for member programs to assist with community outreach and marketing.
• Actively engaged with peer groups working on hunger and senior issues including the Partnership to End Hunger, the Senior Nutrition Task Force, and the Minneapolis Senior Citizens Advisory Council to advance messages concerning seniors and the homebound.
• Partnered with media outlets to increase awareness around the need for Meals on Wheels programs and volunteers.
1) Outreach -- expanding the reach of Meals on Wheels to new generations of volunteers and all the seniors and people with disabilities who could benefit from the daily delivery of hot, nutritious meals. Activities will focus on: a) redesigning our website to improve functionality for ordering meals, mobile technologies and social media communication; b) developing and continuing existing demographic-specific volunteer recruitment strategies and trainings for member programs (ex. Baby Boomers, Families, Young Professionals) , and ; c) implementing targeted marketing strategy using recommendations from General Mills consulting volunteers.
2) Sustainability -- ensuring members have the capacity to meet the changing needs of their clients. Activities will include: a) identifying best practices in categories relevant to Meals on Wheels programs (ex: Meal Delivery, Fundraising, Volunteer Management, Data, Governance);
b. developing Member (Self) Assessment Tool that evaluates where each member program falls within best practice categories and develop consistent data collection systems among the membership;
3) Collaboration -- building community connections and highlighting the key role Meals on Wheels plays in helping seniors and people with disabilities remain independent. Activities include: a. Developing partnerships with academic institutions to conduct research projects that provide evidence of the benefits Meals on Wheels programs provide; b) working with member programs to develop more consistent menu offerings and pricing to be able to better represent Meals on Wheels to public; c) continuing to build advocacy work with member programs, volunteers and clients to educate our elected officials on the important role of Meals on Wheels.
Community or Constituency Served
Meals on Wheels providers, volunteers, and recipients
Geographic Area Served
Twin Cities Metro
Impact and Programs
3 Year Average Expenses
Unrestricted Net Assets
|End of Year:
|Beginning of Year
|Unrestricted Net Assets (End of Year), Current 990
|Based on information provided on 2009 to 2011