Learning Disabilities Association (LDA Minnesota)
The mission of LDA Minnesota is to help children, youth and adults with learning and attention difficulties learn successfully, dream of possibilities, and achieve their goals.
Review Completed: 2/11/2013
6100 Golden Valley Road
Golden Valley, MN 55422
|Other Names Used
||Kitty Christiansen, Executive Director
|Number of Full-Time Equivalents (FTE)
|Number of Volunteers
|Number of Clients Served
||LDA Minnesota is the state affiliate of LDA of America, a national nonprofit organization dedicated to information, advocacy, research, and education focused on learning disabilities. LDA Minnesota is also a member of MACC (
||Accepts donated goods
Tags / Keywords
Higher Education, Disabilities, Elementary & Secondary Schools
|Number of Board Members
|Board meetings with quorum
|Average Member Attendance at Board Meetings
|Publicly Available Documents
Most Recent 990
Most Recent Audit
LDA Minnesota provided a variety of outreach, programs and services during Fiscal Year 2012. Our outreach / public education offered training, information, and educational resources on learning difficulties, attention deficits, and other learning difficulties statewide through LDA’s web site, information and referral service, conferences, and seminars.
Learning Connections program focuses on preventing severe academic difficulties or school failure by providing reading, writing and math instruction for low-income children and youth, resources for classroom teachers, and support for their parents. In FY2012, the program enrolled 499 students; 71% of students improved their academic skills as measured on pre and post-tests. Additionally, 219 parents participated in activities to improve their involvement in their child’s literacy success. 99% of parents reported gaining useful information and strategies.
Assessment and Instruction Services, includes learning and ADHD diagnostic assessments, individual consultations, and individualized tutoring to assist children, youth and adults in improving their learning strategies and skills to meet their academic, vocational, and personal goals. LDA provided these services to 94 clients during FY2012; 98% reported gaining self-knowledge and strategies to achieve their goals.
ADHD Support Services includes workshops, support groups, coaching, counseling and consultations on the special issues and needs of parents of children, spouses, professionals, and adults affected by learning disabilities and attention deficits. In FY2012, 448 adults and parents of children were served; 98% of those surveyed gained knowledge, resources and support to help them manage their learning and attention challenges.
Learning Connections program, in partnership with urban elementary schools and communities, promotes learning success for children at-risk for reading, writing, and math failure, directly addressing Minnesota’s achievement gap. The program also provides training and support to increase parent involvement in pre-Kindergarten literacy preparedness
• Intensive Academic Instruction will increase reading, writing, math skills and improve academic achievement for 445 low-income school-aged children at-risk for school failure at 10 sites in Minneapolis and St. Paul.
• 50 families will receive weekly circulating book bags with culturally- and developmentally- appropriate children’s books to help them prepare their pre-schoolers for Kindergarten readiness.
Assessment and Tutoring Services helps individuals understand how they learn and gain strategies to improve their learning.
• 65 individuals will receive diagnostic assessments and follow-up feedback to improve their understanding of how they learn, their academic strengths / weaknesses, and helpful accommodations.
• 60 children, youth, and adults with learning disabilities, attention deficits, or other learning challenges will receive individualized educational services to achieve personal educational goals.
• Ninety percent (90%) will demonstrate increased knowledge and skills.
ADHD Support Services provides adults with learning and attention challenges the knowledge, resources, and support to help them understand and manage their challenges.
• 220 adult and parents will participate in workshops focused on understanding and managing ADHD.
• 110 adults will gain support, new strategies, and friendship through attending support groups.
• 25 adults will gain self-knowledge, understanding and skills through counseling services.
Community or Constituency Served
LDA Minnesota helps individuals with learning difficulties including learning disabilities and attention deficit disorders.
Geographic Area Served
LDA Minnesota reaches individuals across Minnesota, with services focused on families in the Twin Cities metropolitan area.
Impact and Programs
3 Year Average Expenses
Unrestricted Net Assets
|End of Year:
|Beginning of Year
|Unrestricted Net Assets (End of Year), Current 990
|Based on information provided on 2010 to 2012