Junior Achievement of the Upper Midwest, Inc.
To inspire and prepare young people to succeed in a global economy.
Review Completed: 5/29/2013
1800 White Bear Avenue North
Maplewood, MN 55109
||Gina Blayney, President and CEO
|Number of Full-Time Equivalents (FTE)
|Number of Volunteers
|Number of Clients Served
||We receive grants from United Way, but we are not a United Way agency.
|Number of Board Members
|Board meetings with quorum
|Average Member Attendance at Board Meetings
|Publicly Available Documents
Most Recent 990
Most Recent Audit
We accomplished the following during the 2012-2013 school year:
• Impacted 148,500 students with 1,200,000 hours of JA programming.
• Reached over 50,000 at-risk students.
• Delivered 535,000 hours of Capstone programming, our deepest curriculum experience and some of the most effective programming JA offers.
• Reached 1 in 3 students in Minneapolis schools and 1 in 4 students in St. Paul schools.
• Finalized phase 3 of our JA Finance Park Online program and began transition to JA Finance Park Virtual.
• For the second year in a row, a JA Company Program team from the Twin Cities made it to the JA USA Company of the Year competition.
• Brought JA Titan to more students, which resulted in a team from the Twin Cities winning a spot in the JA Global Titan Competition in Delaware, where they placed 2nd.
• Celebrated our 10th year of JA Biztown at our Maplewood facility – Biztown had nearly 15,000 students participate in the program this year.
Our goals remain the same as previous years. We hope to empower students to own their future success by exposing them to lessons about financial literacy, college and career readiness and entrepreneurship. Our organizational measurements for the current school year are as follows:
• Reach 152,000 total students through all programming with 1.2 million hours of program delivery,
• Deliver JA sequential programming in 245 schools,
• Continue to increase the number of at-risk students served to over 50,000,
• Deliver Capstone programming to 28,000 students
Other organizational initiatives and program enhancements we will be making this year include
• STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) related curriculum additions to our JA Biztown curriculum and facility,
• Upgrades to two traditional JA Programs (JA Our Region and JA Personal Finance),
• Increase the scope of our statewide JA Titan Challenge event for High School students,
• Increase a district wide partnership with the Minneapolis School district to integrate JA Biztown programming into all 5th grade and most 6th and 7th grade summer school classrooms.
Community or Constituency Served
Students in grades K-12
Geographic Area Served
Minnesota, North Dakota and three counties of western Wisconsin
Impact and Programs
3 Year Average Expenses
Unrestricted Net Assets
|End of Year:
|Beginning of Year
|Unrestricted Net Assets (End of Year), Current 990
|Based on information provided on 2009 to 2011