Erik's Ranch & Retreats (New Organization)
Erik’s Ranch & Retreats, using its guiding principles of lifelong learning, individual community building, and bidirectional integration, provides safe and unequaled living, working, social and recreational environments for young adults with autism. Our commitment is that each of our residents lives a rewarding life on his/her own terms, experiencing dignity, compassion and the joy of continuing possibility.
Review Completed: 10/19/2011
7712 Gleason Rd
Edina, MN 55439
||Kathryn Nordberg, Founder
|Number of Full-Time Equivalents (FTE)
|Number of Volunteers
|Number of Board Members
|Board meetings with quorum
|Average Member Attendance at Board Meetings
|Publicly Available Documents
Most Recent 990
Most Recent Audit
• A generous philanthropist has donated 230 acres of land worth $1 million near Bozeman, MT. This land is in the permit process and will soon be ready for construction.
• Another generous individual in Minneapolis has given us a building in Edina, MN, estimated value $4 million. This metropolitan property, currently a residential center, will be ready to refurbish within the year and will become our second location. The philosophy and methodology is identical to that of the Montana project.
• We have effectively partnered with a riding school to offer therapeutic riding lessons at a reduced rate to individuals with special needs. The response has been overwhelmingly positive and we are continuing this fall.
• Contributions of more than $500,000 from individuals and private companies.
• We have a waiting list of more than 60 families.
• More than $500,000 in pledges have been obtained. These pledges include commitments from the building and trade industry in Bozeman, MT, for discounted product and services.
• Our board and volunteers have contributed more than $1.5m in pro bono services.
Experience Guide Program
Guests will get to know our residents for the valuable skill or job they perform and by volunteering for our Experience Guide program. Here’s how the this program works: As part of their employment options, residents have the opportunity to lead volunteers and guests through experiential outings as knowledgeable Experience Guides. As Experience Guides, these young adults will hone their talents and skills in sports, the arts, history and more, and share those adventures with interested guests.
These ensuing interactions will offer insight beyond autistic behaviors to the unique people our residents are. What’s more, these relationships can be safely sustained over time through email and photo and video sharing on Facebook and other social networks, linking our residents to a caring community of extended friends globally.
Construction of pool, dining facility, and volunteer center for week long retreats – MT
Phase II of our Montana project will allow us to conduct week long retreats for the autism community and their families immediately upon completion. We are advancing in phases to complete components of each project to allow us to serve the autism community at each juncture.
Community or Constituency Served
Young adults with autism spectrum disorder
Geographic Area Served
United States and beyond with locations currently in Minnesota and Montana
Impact and Programs
3 Year Average Expenses
Unrestricted Net Assets
|End of Year:
|Beginning of Year
|Unrestricted Net Assets (End of Year), Current 990
|Based on information provided on 2010 to 2012
|From the Council
||Erik's Ranch & Retreats is considered a new organization because it had fewer than 3 year of financial data available at the time of its review. The evaluation of the Financial Health, Use of Funds, & Balanced Reserves standards require 3 years of financial data, and therefore were not been applied for the purposes of this review.