Can Do Canines
Can Do Canines is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for people with disabilities by creating mutually beneficial partnerships with specially trained dogs.
Review Completed: 3/31/2011
9440 Science Center Drive
New Hope, MN 55428
|Other Names Used
||Hearing and Service Dogs of Minnesota
||Alan Peters, Executive Director
|Number of Full-Time Equivalents (FTE)
|Number of Volunteers
|Number of Clients Served
||Assistance Dogs International, Accredited Organization
2010 - Community Service and Appreciation Award
Commission of Deaf, Deaf/Blind and Hard of Hearing Minnesotans 2008 - Distinguished Community Service Award-2008)
ARC of Minnesota
||Accepts donated goods
|Number of Board Members
|Board meetings with quorum
|Average Member Attendance at Board Meetings
|Publicly Available Documents
Most Recent 990
Most Recent Audit
Can Do Canines purchased, renovated and began operations in our new permanent home in January 2010 and placed 30 assistance dogs:
14 Mobility Assist Dogs
6 Autism Assist Dogs
6 Hearing Assist Dogs
3 Diabetes Assist Dogs
1 Seizure Response
The Autism Assist Dog Program exceeded all expectations. Each family reported amazing improvements in the behavior of their child due to the unique bonding that has taken place between their child and their dog.
Our second prison puppyraising program began in Sandstone Federal Penitentiary in January and we have received many letters from the prisoners working with these wonderful dogs relating their experience and thanking us for accepting them into this program. The administrative staff members have sent glowing remarks about how the general atmosphere and morale has changed in the entire prison facility since the dogs have arrived.
As of December 31, 2010, Can Do Canines capital campaign committee raised 67% in cash and pledges toward our goal of $4.4 million. These contributions enabled us to renovate 70% of the building including 12 indoor-outdoor kennels to begin training our dogs in the new facility. The Lions Clubs of Minnesota raised $75,000 in 2010 to complete construction of an additional 10 kennels in 2011. The campaign committee will work throughout 2011 and 2012 to complete the campaign. As funds are raised in 2011, we hope to complete the Caretaker’s apartment, additional office space, training apartment and repairs on the exterior of the building.
In order to continue our mission, Can Do Canines has the following goals for 2011:
1. To train dogs to help their human partners live more independently.
2. To expand the Assist Dog Program to serve more people living with severe challenges, progressive or chronic illness resulting in 40 graduate teams (a 33% increase over 2010).
3. To expand our outreach efforts to meet the special needs of other disability groups, including veteran groups.
4. To continue to expand the Autism Assist Dog program to serve a minimum of eight families with children with autism.
5. To expand our relationship with area animal shelters and rescue organizations to increase the number of successful placements from shelter adoptions.
6. To expand our breeding program with six dogs providing a litter on a continuous schedule to increase the number of dogs completing the training program.
7. To expand our Prison Puppyraising program to Waseca Women’s Federal Prison, making it the third prison participating in the program and enabling the prison puppy raising program to raise 25 puppies in 2011.
8. To continue to offer these highly trained dogs at no cost to their human partners.
9. To complete Phase II of our Capital Campaign for Independence in order to complete the renovation of our facility to better meet the needs of our growing organization.
Community or Constituency Served
Can Do Canines serve people who are deaf or hard-of-hearing, have a physical disability, type one diabetes, seizure disorder, and children with autism and their families.
Geographic Area Served
Primarily Minnesota but accepts applications from Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, and Illinois
Impact and Programs
3 Year Average Expenses
Unrestricted Net Assets
|End of Year:
|Beginning of Year
|Unrestricted Net Assets (End of Year), Current 990
|Based on information provided on 2007 to 2009