Avenues for Homeless Youth
The mission of Avenues for Homeless Youth is to provide emergency shelter, short term and transitional housing and support services for homeless youth in a safe and nurturing environment. Through such service, Avenues seeks to help youth achieve their personal goals and find a positive transition into young adulthood.
Review Completed: 3/3/2011
1708 Oak Park Ave N
Minneapolis, MN 55411
||Deborah Loon, Executive Director
|Number of Full-Time Equivalents (FTE)
|Number of Volunteers
|Number of Clients Served
||Accepts donated goods
|Number of Board Members
|Board meetings with quorum
|Average Member Attendance at Board Meetings
|Publicly Available Documents
Most Recent 990
Most Recent Audit
Shelter and Transitional Housing with Supportive Services (2009-10):
* Provided safe shelter and transitional housing with supportive services to 65 homeless youth ages 16-21 (excludes emergency bed use).
* Provided emergency shelter, connection to resources and food to 70 homeless youth who accessed our overnight emergency bed.
* Of youth who exited the program during the year, saw 74% move into stable housing, including living with family or in other stable living arrangements.
* Increased the average length of stay in the shelter and transitional housing program to 93 days (excluding emergency bed).
* Provided continuing support through our after-care services to 76% of youth who exited the program.
GLBT Host Home Program:
* Provided safe, supportive housing to 15 gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender youth.
* Recruited, screened and trained 3 new host homes, maintaining a pool of 20 host homes at a time.
* Provided ongoing support to an average of 10 host homes that had youth living with them at a time.
* Saw 62% of youth who exited the program during the year move into stable housing.
* Identify funding for a professional program position with emphasis on (1) expanding / enhancing Avenues’ programs in job training and employment, education supports, health and wellness options, and youth empowerment through more community partnerships and coordination of volunteers, and (2) staff training, staff support and supervision, and (3) expansion of our internship program.
* Solidify, diversify and expand Avenues’ base of financial support. Continue building board-designated cash reserves, with goal of six months of operating cash.
* Design and launch an improved process to evaluate the effectiveness and impact of Avenues’ programs.
* Pursue opportunities for more collaboration among all the agencies that serve homeless youth to increase effectiveness and efficiency.
* Expand Avenues’ advocacy and communication about youth homelessness to improve supports for youth and enhance Avenues’ community relations and funding.
* Explore expansion of Avenues’ services, as described under 2009-10 objectives.
Community or Constituency Served
Homeless, unaccompanied youth ages 16 to 21
Geographic Area Served
State of Minnesota
Impact and Programs
3 Year Average Expenses
Unrestricted Net Assets
|End of Year:
|Beginning of Year
|Unrestricted Net Assets (End of Year), Current 990
|Based on information provided on 2008 to 2010