American Diabetes Association
To prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people afftected by diabetes.
Review Completed: 9/24/2010
5100 Gamble Drive
St. Louis Park, MN 55416
||Lori Stevens, Vice President
|Number of Full-Time Equivalents (FTE)
|Number of Volunteers
|Number of Clients Served
|Number of Board Members
|Board meetings with quorum
|Average Member Attendance at Board Meetings
|Publicly Available Documents
Most Recent 990
Most Recent Audit
1. Provided more that $33.5 million in research funds to combat type 1 & types 2 diabetes.
2. Launched the Stop Diabetes movement to educate the public about the toll of diabetes, ignite a sense of urgency about diabetes & inspire people to get involved.
3. Published the "Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes" used by health care professionals, health insurance companies, & quality improvement organizations to define the best care for those with diabetes. In 2009, developed recommendations to use the Hemoglobin A1C test to diagnose diabetes & help identify those with pre-diabetes.
4. Ensure quality education for people with diabetes with ADA's Education Recognition Program (ERP) assessing if program applicants meet the National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education. In 2009, the ERP had over 2,000 programs in 3,400 sites.
5. High-risk populations include African Americans, Latinos, & Native Americans. Community & faith-based educational programs increased awareness of the rates of diabetes & the seriousness of diabetes & its complications. Modules include the importance of making healthy lifestyle choices and making those with or at risk for developing diabetes about prevention & management.
6. Sponsored over 60 camps for children with diabetes where children can meet other kids with diabetes, share their experiences & make lifelong friends.
7. Advocated on behalf of people with diabetes for improving access to health care, eliminating discrimination at work, school, & elsewhere, and increasing funding for diabetes research.
1. Enhance the ADA's return on investment by executing the 2008-2011 strategic plan, giving priority to mission delivery, revenue generation, and inclusion of populations we serve.
2. Reach or surpass 2010 budget revenue, increase on-line giving, & increase net asset percentage.
3. Build on launch of Stop Diabetes movement integrating messaging & call to action.
4. Attract & fund new investigators in diabetes research.
5. Execute targeted dissemination strategies for new patient initiative to effectively reach providers & patients.
6. Pass or implement federal & state legislation that includes care for people with diabetes & primary prevention.
7. Increase number of new & engaged online visitors.
8. Maximize strategic opportunities to work with appropriate organizations & coalitions to mprove the quality of life for those living with diabetes.
Community or Constituency Served
Geographic Area Served
Impact and Programs
3 Year Average Expenses
Unrestricted Net Assets
|End of Year:
|Beginning of Year
|Unrestricted Net Assets (End of Year), Current 990
|Based on information provided on 2009 to 2011